Thursday, March 3, 2011

Reason number seven that I (sometimes) love waiting

Who has patience? It depends. There's the kind of patience that you must have when you're dealing with dogs, children and annoying people. I don't have a whole lot of that with dogs and annoying grown-up people. I'm pretty good with kids - they're still learning how not to be annoying and they really can't help it.

The other kind of patience is when you're WAITING.  WAITING is really hard a lot of the time, but it can be really fun.  I remember deeply, philosophically pondering WAITING when I was in high school and I wanted to go to a dance. I had my dress and I was imagining who I'd dance with, and how I'd fix my hair for nearly two weeks before the actual event.  Some of the things I noticed follow:
  • While you're waiting, time moves very slowly.
  • When the waiting is over, it feels as though time went very quickly.
  • Waiting for something to happen (especially something good, or something exciting) makes one feel purposeful
  • The concept of the something which is to happen being over can be very depressing, because you have nothing to look forward to.
  • There will always be something more to wait for, after what's coming up is over.
Anyway, I am waiting.  There's a great song by John Waller called "While I'm Waiting". It was used in the movie "Fireproof" and I quite like it.

A very good way to make it through when you have to wait is to just go one day at a time. That came from These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. "I have only to get through one day at a time." Just like that. There's not much else anyone can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment